Identification and description | |||||
---|---|---|---|---|---|
Name | BUILE HILL PARK | ||||
Location |
|
||||
Localisation | Latitude: 53.490652 Longitude: -2.3040957 National Grid Reference: SJ 79921 99370 Map: Download a full scale map (PDF) |
||||
label.localisation | [53.4917835475653,-2.30169819916946], [53.4917318650515,-2.30111011995865], [53.4917334201628,-2.30049269640161], [53.4908753543828,-2.30032154288229], [53.4908554451677,-2.30040723677745], [53.4908239411827,-2.30040701396145], [53.4905611863166,-2.3007551386043], [53.4902136691904,-2.30113896583702], [53.4901431922832,-2.30113120159404], [53.4901151537366,-2.30116468801368], [53.490038366071,-2.3011608429107], [53.4899341534703,-2.30110397731612], [53.4898949671935,-2.30102775380231], [53.4898637786972,-2.30089877624127], [53.4898522342293,-2.30079304265571], [53.4898730078967,-2.30036396603984], [53.4898241940521,-2.30019854197317], [53.4897907963099,-2.30016859988612], [53.4895785735952,-2.29999540587109], [53.4895335558798,-2.29988943691784], [53.4895159801668,-2.29982988611013], [53.4894715090132,-2.29950601840344], [53.4893755400928,-2.29851486376613], [53.4893803759679,-2.29815502255924], [53.4894085520347,-2.2979075968803], [53.4894382253298,-2.29706589975768], [53.489306689143,-2.29690650423966], [53.4892518010887,-2.29680708665127], [53.4892539672482,-2.2967311571526], [53.4888973259694,-2.29682771399364], [53.4887203064493,-2.29753961490117], [53.4884677216124,-2.29854810588475], [53.4883620209244,-2.29908550500375], [53.4883222048755,-2.2992601994066], [53.4882487835859,-2.29948749556785], [53.4881675206226,-2.29969821775403], [53.4879895778357,-2.29998749950019], [53.4877641587157,-2.30036557219581], [53.487679883335,-2.30046545338142], [53.4875453401445,-2.30147276585426], [53.4875273230135,-2.30165243211009], [53.4875323949729,-2.30169771052408], [53.4878012999238,-2.30203307802146], [53.4879562834362,-2.30225867621722], [53.4880385333934,-2.30243755067805], [53.4882161562802,-2.30227702810299], [53.4883615640492,-2.30239362763317], [53.4884776124168,-2.30244396228897], [53.4887826427561,-2.30251217610523], [53.4890266586754,-2.3025700394222], [53.4890423381314,-2.3026750322315], [53.4890555554956,-2.30291439833019], [53.4890401739728,-2.3031667930457], [53.4890407329134,-2.30330772872093], [53.4890877532028,-2.30369259385849], [53.4891216418016,-2.30399913058766], [53.4891411112949,-2.30420719399866], [53.4891616974299,-2.30450245328182], [53.489159907729,-2.30467906140442], [53.4891525740409,-2.30494283250559], [53.4891442375897,-2.30507467692547], [53.4891250661718,-2.30527128030762], [53.489085472189,-2.30563317443491], [53.4890281647316,-2.30618645112153], [53.4889981437131,-2.30641057069043], [53.4889522283786,-2.30681407400593], [53.4889304374867,-2.30719280796357], [53.4886711435641,-2.30836964853188], [53.4889920172013,-2.30868140632593], [53.4904328761919,-2.31011777389364], [53.4906826477869,-2.31036332483497], [53.4908425153928,-2.31054701403959], [53.4912554201751,-2.3110746769897], [53.4915596363853,-2.31145331783002], [53.4916816894543,-2.311464115287], [53.4917232163748,-2.31139508743034], [53.4917922845285,-2.31133614875006], [53.4918335621238,-2.31136617386462], [53.4918729656195,-2.3113565602534], [53.491884714581,-2.31130443590551], [53.4919124724056,-2.31130732224285], [53.49196800233,-2.31115584533591], [53.492294271382,-2.30910780965716], [53.4923463739819,-2.30875819107332], [53.4923610504228,-2.30842142803151], [53.4924334840987,-2.30704517176793], [53.492412560976,-2.30676106992173], [53.4922645892074,-2.30456759467686], [53.4922413967306,-2.30439572323356], [53.4921713477614,-2.30406834599371], [53.4919218924995,-2.30305291685441], [53.4918662128733,-2.30249121223907], [53.4918147427025,-2.30201620467132], [53.4917835475653,-2.30169819916946] | ||||
Overview | Heritage Category: Park and Garden Grade: II List Entry Number: 1001537 Date first listed: 27-Jun-2001 |
A public park incorporating Seedley Park, opened in 1876, together with the grounds
of Buile Hill house which opened as a public park in 1903, of Springfield villa added
in 1927, and of Hart Hill house purchased in 1924 and opened in 1938.
HISTORIC DEVELOPMENT
Seedley was the second public park in Salford after Peel Park, which opened in 1846,
and one of three opened in the late 1870s, the others being Albert Park, opened in
1877, and Ordsall opened in 1879. Salford Council approved the purchase of c 5.3ha
of land in July 1872 and work on the park commenced in 1874 under the direction of
Henry Moore, the head gardener at Peel Park, who was responsible for laying out all
three of the 1870s parks (Salford City Reporter, 19 August 1893). Moore's previous
career included several years of service with Lord Stanley at Alderley, Cheshire and
market gardening in Kent. He had also laid out the gardens at Lancaster Asylum and
Lancaster Cemetery (qv) and superintended the construction of the Botanical Gardens
at Sale, Cheshire (ibid). The official opening of Seedley Park, by the mayor of Salford,
Alderman Harwood, took place on 17 June 1876.
The adjacent house at Buile Hill, designed by the architect Sir Charles Barry, was
built in 1825?7 for Thomas Potter who became the first mayor of Manchester in 1838.
The house was enlarged in the 1860s. The property passed to the Bennett family and
was purchased in 1902 by Salford Council for £20,000, with a further £7000 allocated
for conversion to a public park under the supervision of the Parks' Superintendent
A Wilsher (Salford Reporter, 25 July 1903). Local residents subscribed £2500 towards
the project. Buile Hill Park was opened on 22 July 1903 by the mayor of Salford, Alderman
Stephens, and was subsequently joined to Seedley Park by the closure of the 'Dog Entry'
path which divided them (ibid). The house was opened as a Natural History Museum in
1906.
The Hart Hill estate, adjoining Buile Hill to the north-west, was purchased by Salford
Council in 1924, the c 1860 house being demolished in 1926 and the Hart Hill park
extension officially opened in January 1938. Springfield, a c 0.6ha plot of land lying
between Buile Hill and Seedley, was transferred to the park by Salford Education Department
in 1927. Large depressions in this area were filled with town refuse in 1933. From
the early C20 the public park, including Seedley Park, has been known as Buile Hill
Park (OS 1922). During the Second World War the park was a base for Civil Defence,
with air-raid shelters for 300, and a RAF Balloon Barrage headquarters. In 1975 Buile
Hill house was opened as a Museum of Mining which closed in 2000. Adjacent to the
house is a C20 banqueting suite. Buile Hill Park remains (2001) in use as a public
park and in the ownership of Salford City Council.
DESCRIPTION
LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING The park lies in the east of Salford,
c 4km to the west-north-west of Manchester city centre and occupies c 35ha. To the
north the park is bounded by Eccles Old Road and marked by a c 0.9m high stone wall
with half-round coping. Some 100m from north-west corner of the park the boundary
wall is topped with c 0.9m high C20 railings for a length of c 90m. Elsewhere sockets
in stone copings are evidence of railings now (2001) removed. The west boundary to
Weaste Lane is similar with c 1.5m high C20 railings topping the stone boundary wall.
The south boundary adjoins the gardens of C20 housing. These boundaries are again
similar, marked by a low stone wall generally topped with C20 replacement railings.
On the south boundary of the park, c 340m south-east of Buile Hill house, a c 25m
length of C19 railing survives.
The south-east corner of the park, which is occupied by the C19 (Seedley) park, is
bounded by Gore Crescent to the south-west, Gore Avenue and Lower Seedley Road to
the south, and Seedley Road to the east. These boundaries are marked by c 1.5m high
C20 railings. The north boundary of the C19 park is with Seedley Terrace and marked
by c 1.5m high C20 railings set on a stone retaining wall. The east boundary of Buile
Hill adjoins C20 offices and housing and is marked by c 1.8m high C20 railings. At
the southern end the railings are set inside a buttressed brick retaining wall to
Seedley Terrace to the east, which lies c 2.5m lower. A buttressed wall is shown in
this location on the Borough Engineer's 1902 plan of the proposed Buile Hill Park
and is possibly a C19 boundary wall of the Buile Hill estate (UMAU 1998).
The south-east corner of the park occupied by the C19 (Seedley) park slopes gently
up to the north and more steeply in the north-west where it adjoins the former grounds
of Buile Hill. The C20 section to the north-west occupies undulating ground, rising
by c 17m from south to north, and overlooks the Manchester Ship Canal, Salford Quays,
and the Mersey valley to the south with distant views to the Derbyshire hills beyond.
The surrounding area is predominantly residential, with C19 and C20 housing.
ENTRANCES AND APPROACHES There are three principal entrances, one to the south-east,
C19 (Seedley) area and two to the north-west, C20 area of the park. That to the C19
area is at the centre of the Seedley Road boundary to the east and is marked by a
carriage entrance and a single pedestrian entrance with C20 iron gates set between
stone piers. The entrance, as a whole, is in line with the main west-south-west to
east-north-east axis of the C19 park. To the north of the entrance an area enclosed
with railings marks the location of a C19 lodge now (2001) demolished. To the south
there are three further entrances, two from Lower Seedley Road and one from Gore Crescent,
close to the junction with Gore Avenue, all with C20 gates. One of the entrances from
Seedley Road, 295m south-west of the east entrance, is marked by similar stone gate
piers and terminates a cross-axis path within the C19 area of the park.
In the north-west, C20 area of the public park the two principal entrances lie at
the north-east corner from Eccles Old Road and at the north-west corner, at the junction
of Eccles Old Road and Weaste Lane. The former provides vehicle access and is in the
form of a minor road junction with the low boundary wall in a curved return to either
side. This entrance is shown on the 1848 OS map as the main approach to Buile Hill
house, which it remains (2001). A lodge shown to the south-east was demolished in
1935. The boundary at the north-west corner of the park is set back from the road
junction in an arc with the carriage entrance at the centre which is marked by C20
iron gates between iron posts, low stone piers, and low, curved dressed stone walls.
A late C20 bungalow lies to the south-east.
There are three further entrances into the north-west area of the park. Some 180m
from the north-west corner of the park an entrance from Eccles Old Road is marked
by a pair of C20 iron gates and posts. This entrance is shown on the 1848 OS map as
the main approach to Hart Hill, marked by a lodge to the west which was demolished
in c 1930?1. At the south-west corner a vehicle entrance from Weaste Lane is marked
by iron gates between capped stone piers, all C20. From the east a pedestrian entrance
from Southgarth Road is marked by C20 iron gates and an early C20 gate pier in brick
and stone.
PRINCIPAL BUILDING Buile Hill house (listed grade II) stands at the centre of the
C20 area of the park, sited on a promontory with the ground falling away to the south
and west. The classically styled ashlar stone building is of three storeys with a
porte-cochère to the north and single-storey stucco wing to the north-west. To the
south there is a viewing terrace with a c 1930 brick and concrete balustrade and stone
steps to the south and west. An engraving of the house of c 1845 shows the terrace
with a continuous wall (UMAU 1998). Steps down from the terrace are shown on the 1893
OS map but their present location appears to date from c 1967.
To the east of the house is a small garden laid out with raised stonework beds and
enclosed with c 0.9m high railings, laid out in 1963 as a garden for the blind. Beyond,
to the east and south-east, lies a range of C19 and C20 outbuildings. An eastern extension
to the house and conservatories linking the house and outbuildings, which are shown
on the 1930?1 OS map, were taken down in the mid C20. To the south of the outbuildings,
c 100m south-east of the house, there is a large, late 1930s timber conservatory,
now (2001) without glass and partially restored. The conservatory is sited at the
head of a mid C20 embankment with the ground falling away to the south and the foot
of the embankment marked with C20 railings. Within the outbuilding complex and immediately
to the north of the conservatory there is a late C20 single-storey training centre.
There are outbuildings are in the same area as buildings indicated on late C18 and
early C19 maps (ibid).
GARDENS AND PLEASURE GROUNDS Buile Hill Park is divided into two main sections: the
c 5ha C19 park (formerly Seedley Park) to the south-east and the c 30ha early C20
public park formed from the grounds of the three private houses. In the former section
views do not extend beyond the park but in the latter they extend beyond the park,
in particular from the terrace immediately south of Buile Hill house and from the
terrace in the north-east of the park, formerly to the south of Hart Hill.
The C19 south-east section of the park is bisected by a partly tree-lined central
axial path running 320m west-south-west from the principal east entrance while a path
following the park boundaries provides a perimeter circuit. The axial path divides
to either side 105m and 265m west-south-west of the east entrance. The westernmost
division forms a junction with a cross-axial path. The 1893 OS map shows this junction
marked by a fountain and a further cross-axial path at the first main path widening
which no longer (2001) survives. From the cross-axial junction the main axial path
rises up to a C20 single-storey brick pavilion which terminates the view and from
where a path leads west to join the perimeter circuit path. This path and a pavilion
are indicated in the same location on the 1893 OS map. The area south of the main
axial path is laid to grass with C20 children's play equipment to the south-west corner
and tree planting along the boundary. At the centre of this area a section of grass
left as meadow marks the location of a formal pond (OS 1893) which was filled-in in
1945. The area north of the main axial path is laid to grass to the east, has a small
wildlife woodland at the centre, and contains two rectangular bowling greens to the
north-west. The western green is shown on the 1893 OS map and the other was built
in c 1902 (UMAU 1998). In the north-west of the C19 park two paths lead north-west
up a steep bank planted with trees to the former grounds of Buile Hill. The cross-axis
path terminates 140m north-east of the pavilion, with early C20 concrete steps leading
up to the eastern of these paths.
Within the north-west, early C20 section of the park a winding perimeter drive provides
a boundary circuit linking the entrances. From the north-east entrance a straight
approach leads south-west for 40m, to a junction with the circuit path, and then west-south-west
to Buile Hill house with formal planting beds in grass to the south. The approach
is lined with formal evergreens and is as indicated on the 1848 OS map.
From Buile Hill house a drive leads south-west to the entrance from Weaste Lane and
north-west to the central entrance from Eccles Old Road. From the latter a further
path leads south-west to meet the circuit path at the centre of the western boundary.
This path is on the northern boundary of a pitch and putt course laid out in the west
of the park in the 1930s on the south-east half of Hart Hill Meadow. In the north-west
of the park there are formal planting beds set in grass adjacent to the north-west
entrance and adjacent to the north boundary. A 2m high grassed embankment 140m east
of the north-west entrance follows the line of an embankment to the south of Hart
Hill house (OS 1893). Some 60m south of the central entrance from Eccles Old Road
is a fenced area used for storage; the site is shown as a nursery on the 1930-1 OS
map.
West of Buile Hill house a two-storey brick building of 1937?8 with late C20 single-storey
extensions is in use as a banqueting suite with an embanked terrace to the south laid
out with formal beds set in grass and enclosed by a hedge. This area is shown as a
terrace on the OS map of 1893 and a tennis ground on that of 1933. South of the terrace,
c 50m south-west of Buile Hill house, is a lower level area of hard-surfaced tennis
courts embanked to the west, south, and east. To the east of the courts a grassed
area is laid out as a playground. A small circular pond which is shown on the OS map
of 1848 lies 180m south-west of Buile Hill house.
From the former boundary between the C19 (Seedley) park and the grounds of Buile Hill
two paths lead north-west, one to Buile Hill house and the other passing to the east
of the outbuildings and across the approach to Buile Hill to join the circuit path
170m west of the north-west entrance from Eccles Old Road. To the east of this path,
c 200m east-south-east of Buile Hill house, there is a 0.6m block of three stone steps,
possibly a resited mounting block or a remnant of the bandstand shown c 30m to the
north on the 1930?1 OS map but now (2001) demolished.
Some 60m to the west of the north-west entrance, the circuit path curves south around
a low-lying area with several willows among other trees, adjacent to the north boundary
with Eccles Old Road. This depression is in the location of a pond indicated on the
1848 OS map and filled-in in 1936. In the north-east corner of the park a low-lying
oval area is enclosed by embankments c 1?3m high, with two vehicle entrances from
the circuit path to the west. This area is shown as a sandpit in 1893 (OS) and as
a children's playground with swings in 1931 (OS). During the Second World War the
pit was reopened for filling sandbags and in 1946 was backfilled with bricks from
air-raid shelters in the park topped with 0.9m of town refuse.
REFERENCES
Salford Weekly News, 15 May 1880, p 3 Pendleton Reporter, 31 May 1884, p 5 Salford
City Reporter, 19 August 1893 Salford Reporter, 25 May 1903, p 5 N Pevsner, The Buildings
of England: Lancashire South (1969), p 396 H Conway, People's Parks: The Design and
Development of Victorian Parks (1991), p 232 J Roberts with E Currie, A Survey of
Historic Parks and Gardens in Greater Manchester 6, Salford (1994), pp 12-13, 17,
36 A Monaghan, Buile Hill Park and Seedley, A Chronology, guide leaflet, (1998) Buile
Hill Park, Salford: An Archaeological Assessment, (University of Manchester Archaeology
Unit 1998)
Maps OS 6" to 1 mile: 1st edition published 1848 1930-1 edition OS 25" to 1 mile:
1st edition surveyed 1888-9, published 1893 1922 edition 1933 edition
Archival items Late C19 and early C20 photographs (Salford Local History Library)
City of Salford (County Borough) Records Index (City of Salford Archivist) Notes compiled
by Salford Education and Leisure Services Aerial photograph, 1929 (Manchester Central
Library)
Description written: April 2001 Register Inspector: HMT Edited: July 2002
This garden or other land is registered under the Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Act 1953 within the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens by Historic England for its special historic interest.